Business consulting resources
A range of useful resources for strategic management as well as for less serious, yet important things in life. Feel free to recommend links and resources of your own that you feel should be made available to others. A mixture of downloads, links, and videos will be built up according to needs.
General insights, analysis, and practical tips
- The Portable Change Consultant — Download 90kB PDF eBook
A useful quotes booklet written up by Richard Entwistle
- How To Attend Meetings — Download 70kB PDF
A not-too-serious piece quite close to reality for many (unknown source)
- Research & Innovation Management Framework — Download 70kB (Richard Entwistle)
A system you can modify and adopt for your own internal innovation projects control
Quality, performance improvement, process modeling
- APQC Process Classification Framework (Generic) — Download 400kB PDF
See apqc.org for lots of free information on topic
- Introduction to BPMN (Business process modeling notation) Download 360kB PDF (IBM)
- BPMN and Business Process Management — Download 900kB PDF (Popkin Software, now IBM)
English language IELTS
Some resources for helping employees with English. From my former university tutoring work for Cambridge IELTS:
- Skills for IELTS Success mindmap — Download 160kB PDF
- IELTS Exam Tasks mindmap — Download 130kB PDF
- IELTS Exam Evaluation mindmap — Download 110kB PDF
- Reading Strategy and Skills mindmap — Download 240kB PDF
- The official IELTS Handbook — from www.ielts.org 1.60 MB PDF
Recommended reading: Great books to help you move forward
Flawed Advice and the Management Trap, Chris Argyris.
Fad Surfing in the Boardroom, Eileen C. Shapiro
Key Management Models: The 60+ models every manager needs to know, 2ed. M van Assen, G van den Berg & P Pietersma.
Note you will not find popular ‘self-help’ or ‘who moved my whatever’ type books here. On the contrary, these management consulting resources are suggested to help wean people off the typical positive thinking (Self Help and Motivation—SHAM!) industry books that are so widespread. Neuromagic is a brand new and evolving science so no reading suggestions there for now.
You could also support your local bookshop and place an order there, of course. And finally, don’t forget your local library to read more books than we have time for. Hong Kong is blessed with a truly world-class library system. For those of us in Hong Kong, here is Hong Kong’s library where you can find and reserve books (and media resources) online.